Last Updated: Sep 21, 2022
As a global platform for creativity and self-expression, Padlet is deeply committed to being accessible to everyone. However, this is an area we have realized we are behind in. To work toward better accessibility, we are currently in the process of testing Padlet for WCAG 2.1 level AA compliance.
The WCAG guidelines explain how to make web content more accessible for people with disabilities and more user-friendly for everyone. The guidelines have three levels of accessibility (A, AA and AAA). We’ve chosen Level AA as the target for Padlet.
Does Padlet support screen readers?
Yes, we are basically compatible with screen reader softwares (such as Apple VoiceOver). Posts can be read out aloud. New posts can be created using a shortcut. We are working on defining better landmarks for easier content navigation.
Does Padlet provide keyboard access?
Currently, you can navigate the login page and the dashboard using only your keyboard. Posts on a padlet board can be created and navigated using the keyboard, but settings cannot be changed. We are working on keyboard compatibility for settings, post editing, and post expansion.
Does Padlet provide low vision color contrast?
Not at this time. It is on our roadmap. For now, we recommend you download a web extension such as High Contrast for Chrome to increase contrast on Padlet pages.
Any recent improvements?
Some recent improvements that we have made:
- Made padlet.com homepage keyboard accessible.
- Fixed bugs in padlet pages so that the post content area and add post buttons are announced correctly in screen readers.
- Improved translations for non-English users.
- Improved landmarks for padlet screens for easy navigation with screen readers.
- Labeled links and buttons correctly so that screen readers can announce them properly.
- Extended keyboard navigation to the padlet dashboard.
What are we working on next?
Our target is to fix the glaring problems that make Padlet inaccessible as soon as possible. Here are some items that are in our pipeline:
- Better landmarks on padlet boards
- Add keyboard navigation to padlet settings panels
Can we provide a VPAT?
Not yet. But it is coming soon!
Have a question or feedback?
You can contact us here.